Wednesday, 9 January 2008

"Don't judge a book by it's cover".

Don't you just hate that saying? Of course it's not literally just meant towards books, it is also used metaphorically, but lets just talk about books for now. I always always always judge a book by it's cover... being in the creative field, it's just instinct to be drawn to something aesthetically pleasing...and it has to look pretty on the bookshelf, doesn't it?
I have just finished reading 'The Thirteenth Tale' by Diane Setterfield and it was the cover that attracted me to it. (I got it for Christmas when I sent my boyfriend the entire contents of my Amazon basket.) I instantly knew that it would involve young twins, or sisters, and as the title contained 'thirteenth' which I associated with horror films and of course Friday the 13th, I knew it would probably be some sort of haunting tale about sisters, fantastic.
So the cover of a book will instantly determine whether it is to your taste or not and you could just about get a feel of the storyline without even having to read the back. Therefore, the saying is indeed complete nonsense.

I'm not going to say much about the book because I know I'll ruin it for anyone who wishes to read it, but it was an amazing book, and even though I am reading several other books at the same time, this was one that completely held my attention and I finished it very very quickly. I recommend it to all book lovers, and yes it was a haunting tale about twins, but you'll just have to read it to know what happened... which is a lot lot more than I am divulging!

(Of course, you do also get many books with front covers that have absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, but that's a whole other topic!)
Post a Comment