Wednesday, 12 March 2008

More ACEOs.

My addiction to ACEO's is quickly growing and I recently received 11 new ones!

Many people are still baffled by what ACEO's are, and just to keep it plain and simple, they are little pieces of art where the only rule is that they measure 2.5" x 3.5". That's all. Easy peasy. .. and they have the same concept as trading cards (think baseball, marvel etc), although I think they are bought more than they are traded... and I definitely won't ever be trading mine!

Firstly, I'd like to introduce an Etsy shop, GrayArt, who I stumbled across in the Etsy forums (Etsy is a 'place to buy and sell all things handmade'). She had a lovely, illustrated avatar consisting of a beautiful, content looking lady, standing in front of a cherry blossom tree.. However, there was something different about this image, it had a sepia tone to it, which I only see with photos, so, I just had to check out what she had sitting in her shop!
... Lo and behold, she had the most beautiful ACEO's!! .. and not only that, but all the original images were created using a wood-burning technique, which explains the sepia hue. At this point, I was completely captivated. I'd love to watch someone create something so detailed by wood-burning, in my mind, it just seems so.....difficult.

There's the lady that caught my eye, I obviously had to get it! Another that I was very drawn to was 'Haunted I', the third image in this photo. I must admit, it scared the hell out of me, I literally felt like someone was watching me when I laid my eyes on it! ... now, if a little piece of art can have such an effect, I just had to get it too!
I believe that many people buy art not just for its aesthetic appeal but also because they can relate to it, or it reminds them of something personal... for me, a lot of it is suppressed deep down, so I was trying to figure out what it was about this image that I liked so much.
Anyway, sorry, I don't have something thrilling to tell you about my discovery apart from it reminding me of when I was very young, and my older brother was obsessed with horror films but was always too scared to watch them alone. Of course, he would make me stay up watching them, and would spray water into my face if I fell asleep... how mean is that! .. and one of the films I'll never forget is Poltergeist... and I think that's what this image reminds me of. God that film was scary. So in this scenario, my fear created by watching Poltergeist was suppressed!... and some more:

Next up are ACEO's by ssuzuki. I previously introduced some of her work in my extremely long Superheroines entry and was delighted with my purchase of owning mini versions of her art!

I love how ssuzuki uses both vivid colours and even just a pencil to create such stunning images and I must say that she has an amazing imagination! The far right one is called 'End Transmission' and how I wish she really existed! .. .. actually, I wish all of ssuzuki's characters existed! The one next to it instantly made me think of the 1950's 'Sinbad' films, I adored them when I was a child, and now laugh at the huge improvement of special effects!.. although at that time, I was very convinced!

Now looking at my new ACEO's side by side, I am amused at how contrasting they are.. I have the most varied taste!... my boyfriend says I am the most difficult person to buy for, but I shouldn't be because there's just so much I like, right?... or do you look at it as that there is TOO much to choose from?

Post a Comment