Tuesday, 19 August 2008

Star Trek.

My boyfriend is a huge Star Trek fanatic and bought the whole of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine on DVD. I wasn't sure why he had bought them as he had seen them all already as he was growing up, but I just assumed it was one of those classic DVDs to own. Little did I know, he planned to convert me to Star Trek-ism! I adore all Sci-Fi/fantasy programs/films but with Star Trek, I had a big problem with. When I was little, my older brother never let me watch what I wanted to because it always coincided with Star Trek, and over the years, I developed a big disliking for it. I gave up arguing with my brother and his selfishness and disliked Star Trek ever since.I was very adamant that I would not watch it, but eventually, he persuaded me to give it a try... and yes, I really enjoyed it!!! Deanna Troi is one of my favourite characters, and having now reached the final season of the entire series, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing how her costume and hair has evolved throughout. I think I'll eventually make a Superheroine entry on her, I have been seriously neglecting that category!My boyfriend and I also watched some of the Special Features that came with the box set, and I was surprised when Marina Sirtis (Deanna Troi) was on screen, in casual 1980's clothes, speaking with a British accent! You get so caught up with the on-screen characters that you actually start believing that's how they actually are. She explains how she made up the accent for her character which I thought was amazing! Amazing to keep it up for seven years! But then again, I think the Data character is one of the most amazing and also most hilarious.I have also noticed how a lot of major fashion houses use Star Trek as inspiration for their collections, I recognised many of the costumes being used on fashion catwalks, many which are almost identical. I truly believe that Star Trek is the only program with the most innovative costume, ever... and I forget that it was filmed in most of the 1980's, until the crew is in casual clothing, and that's when I see hints of 1980's fashion although I also see some effort in trying to conceal it!
We are now 7 episodes away from completing the entire The Next Generation... and I am wondering how I will find Deep Space Nine.
Post a Comment