Wednesday, 21 January 2009

Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium & My Blueberry Nights - Film Review

I wouldn't usually do two film reviews in one blog entry, but because they both have the same actress in them, Natalie Portman, and also because one of them was excruciatingly painful to watch, I'm keeping it short! This film I write about is Mr Magorium's Wonder Emporium. I can't believe how sucked into the trailer I was when it was released... I am just so glad I didn't waste my money going to the cinema to watch it, and waited for LOVEFiLM to send it to me instead. Even so, it was a waste of a rental!It was boring from the very first second, Natalie Portman's character was incredibly plain and annoying. I was very disappointed with this as I usually love all her characters. So I think it's clear that I prefer it when she is playing more dramatic characters, such as Anne Boleyn in The Other Boleyn Girl, Evie in V for Vendetta, Queen Amidala in Star Wars etc etc... I absolutely would never recommend this film, not even for kids.

Next up, My Blueberry Nights. I wasn't sure if I even wanted to watch this film, but when I was browsing LOVEFiLM to add some films to my rental list, I decided to give it a shot, especially as the lead character was played by the singer, Nora Jones. I am always curious to see if people who are not primarily actors, can act. One example that just doesn't work is Joss Stone... but I'll leave that for another review. However, I was impressed, she was actually really good.

Jude Law plays her love interest and I wasn't so keen on his character, luckily, he wasn't in it much. My Blueberry Nights is about a young woman who is heartbroken, ends up in a cafe run by Jude Law's character, and they become friends. They eat Blueberry pie each evening - which is the only pie left at the end of the day as nobody else likes it. I suppose this is significant enough to become the film title, as it is the only time they get to spend together - while sharing Blueberry pie. Anyway, although Nora Jones was good, I felt Natalie Portman and Rachel Weisz's characters gave the film more punch, although unfortunately I would only class their roles as 'cameos'. I would only recommend this film if you can't find anything else to watch.

Post a Comment