Sunday, 15 February 2009

Firefluff.

Lisa Evans a.k.a firefluff is a freelance illustrator and also a fellow UK Etsy seller whom I recently purchased some ACEOs from - which are pieces of art where the only rule is that they measure 2.5" x 3.5".
I came across firefluff while 'pouncing' on Etsy - Pounce is when you come across Etsy shops that recently had a sale. I thought her art was breathtaking and conjured up the strangest feelings. I started reminiscing about one of my most favourite programs I watched as a child - Moomins. I actually can't remember much about it... I just remember wanting to watch it all the time (even though it scared me senseless)... it was almost hypnotic, and it was just so satisfyingly different to everything else.

I found Lisa's art so overwhelming and beautifully dark. I also took such a liking to one of her very unique characters, Star belly. A creature with a belly full of stars! As a child, I always dreamt about having my own fantasy creature/pet that would take me on adventures... Star Belly would've been perfect! One of the ACEOs I got also made me think of a scene in another favourite, The NeverEnding Story... where the young boy travels in the air on the back of Falkor, the luckdragon. Lisa's work is like a concoction of all things I loved as a child, and present! She has the most wonderful mind!

I was also extremely impressed by the quality of her ACEOs... I feel like I have originals, rather than reproductions. I had recently been disappointed by the quality of some ACEOs I had been purchasing to the point of wanting to reconsider my obsession, but firefluff has put me back on track and I can't wait to get some more from her!

Post a Comment