Sunday, 13 September 2009

Book Review: A Certain Slant of Light.

I came across 'A Certain Slant of Light' by Laura Whitcomb through Amazon's recommendations based on books I have bought or sent to my basket. I thought the cover looked very intriguing and because I always 'judge a book by its cover', I bought it without even reading the synopsis! I was confident with purchasing it as Amazon has been quite good at their recommendations to me. When it arrived, I was so impressed with the quality of the book, it was glossy with embossed areas. I also adored the mini image of the book in the spine... it's just one of those little things that make a difference.I tried to explain what the book was about in my own words, but I felt like I wasn't doing it any justice! So please read the following extract from Laura Whitcomb's website which will absolutely make you want to read the book!:

"In the class of the high school English teacher she has been haunting, Helen feels them: For the first time in 130 years, human eyes are looking at her. They belong to a boy, a boy who has not seemed remarkable until now. And Helen--terrified, but intrigued--is drawn to him. The fact that he is in a body and she is not presents this unlikely couple with their first challenge. But as the lovers struggle to find a way to be together, they begin to discover the secrets of their former lives and of the young people they come to possess.
I can't fault the book at all, it was amazing. I finished it in 2 days because I couldn't keep away from it, reading at every opportunity! It made me think of the early 90's film Ghost with Patrick Swayze and Demi Moore...it's a completely different storyline, but some of the supernatural descriptions used in the book reminded me of some of the scenes from the film... I also just found out that Ghost the Musical is coming out in 2010!!!
Upon completing the book, the image on the cover suddenly came to life and became a very significant moment in the story...which made me very happy since I loved the cover so much! I say this about a lot of the books I enjoyed, but this particular novel would make an incredible film.
While browsing Laura Whitcomb's website, I came across her blog and discovered that she is currently writing the sequel to A Certain Slant of Light called Under the Light! I just hope it will be as good, if not better than the first.
Post a Comment