Sunday, 8 November 2009

Fifi Lapin.

I first came across Fifi Lapin via her Etsy shop almost 2 years ago where she was selling original sketches. I remember thinking how smart it was to draw catwalk outfits onto bunny-girls. Simple but extremely effective, and cute! I wanted to buy some of her art in postcard format and as reproductions (I don't mind reproductions as I can get more for less money) but as she was only selling originals and at a larger size, I thought I'd wait and see if she would sell them in the future. I found images of her originals in her Sold items and it's so lovely to see how much her drawings have evolved. From quick, coloured sketches to detailed drawings.
Anyway, months later, when I started doing work placements in Fashion Design and eventually getting a full-time job, I kept hearing her name (as if she'd just been discovered!) when I had seen her work years before!!...from this sudden recognition, I knew that Fifi Lapin would be extremely popular in the up-and-coming months.So, when I was recently in Oxford Street's Topshop and spotted a pack of 8 Christmas cards by Fifi Lapin in Topshop outfits (of course!) for only £4/$7, I snapped them up right away! I'd always guessed that Topshop would get some of her art in their stores, same with other fashion brands. They are the sweetest cards and I instantly knew that I wouldn't be using them as I'd want to keep them for myself!... however, as there are two in each design, I may succumb to using one of each...Also, something I'd always found amusing with Fifi Lapin is that the artist has literally become 'Fifi Lapin'. In her Etsy shop years earlier, I remember seeing a t-shirt for sale, I don't think it had any of her drawings on it, but she had modelled it herself while holding a cutout card bunny-head against her own head, I found it funny and very memorable. Her profile description is also hilarious."Hi, I'm Fifi. . . Fifi Lapin . . . . . . . . . . I was born one of 257 brothers and sisters but sadly there was an outbreak of myxomatosis when I was just one year old... I was the only one that survived. My parents are therefore incredibly protective of me and spoil me rotten. I'm an hare-ss to my fathers fortune which he made playing fast and loose with carrot and lettuce shares on the international stock market. There are a lot of rabbits out there eating carrots and lettuce so I guess he just struck gold (or orange you might say). . . . . . . . Some people think I’m just a socialite but I think there is more to me than just an extremely stylish clotheshorse!"
Post a Comment