Wednesday, 11 November 2009

True Blood.

I had started watching True Blood when it premiered in the UK on FX, around August 09 and had managed to watch four fantastic episodes of it before I had to start unplugging everything for the house move. However, it started last month on terrestrial TV so I was able to resume watching the series! The program was so much better than I initially thought as other vampire programs that I expected to be good, were not.For example, Blade:The Series. When it premiered in the UK years ago, I was so excited to watch it as I adored all the films. However, I remember that after 10 minutes, I turned it off. I was unimpressed with the actor who played 'Blade' (so unimpressed that I haven't bothered to even see who he is), but maybe because I loved the films so much, I could not imagine anyone else but Wesley Snipes playing the character. The last vampire series that truly worked were Buffy the Vampire Slayer and it's spin-off, Angel.

The main character in True Blood is Sookie Stackhouse who is telepathic and played by Anna Paquin. I think her presence in the program made it further appealing to me as I had always liked her as Rogue in the X-Men films. Unlike Blade:The Series, the first 10 minutes of True Blood confirmed that I would be watching all of it!It had a very comical opening which didn't even involve the main characters. You were very quickly introduced to a vampire, who had the most hilarious line, which was made funnier with his accent...however, it is just too rude to repeat on my blog so you would just need to watch it! This character reveals himself as being a vampire by flashing his 'fangs' which come out like spikes in the ground of a trap... and I loved the fact they were not typically in place of the canines, but instead in place of the incisors.

True Blood is simply about humans and vampires co-existing and details like vampires being able to purchase bottled blood in pubs and stores was almost...endearing! I also quickly noticed a similarity between True Blood and Twilight and wondered which was first - after some quick Googling, it seems like True Blood was first!

The more I watch this, the more I love it, each episode has been fresh and I can't imagine ever getting bored of it!!

Post a Comment