Sunday, 21 March 2010

Second Job.

Back in April 2009, I mentioned that I was starting my first paid Fashion Design job as a Design Assistant (after 18 months of unpaid work placements) for a UK fashion brand... then, 5 months later (September) I was promoted to Junior Designer! Now, 11 months after starting my first job (are you still following?), I will be starting my second job on Monday! The place I am going to is an International fashion brand and is actually where I did one of my many work placements! After being offered the job, I reminisced about my University lecturers who always spoke about having to work for free at the beginning of our Design careers to build up our CV's as there would be a lot of competition. At the time, I wasn't amused and it shattered my notions of finishing University and going straight into a paid job! However, I lived at home with my mother and many places would reimburse my lunch and travel costs, so I had nothing to lose.Looking back, and about to start my second job... I finally feel that my work placements have truly paid off (in regards to opportunities and the knowledge I gained) and I highly recommend that people who want to get into Fashion Design take the same route! My last day at my first job was on Friday and it was sad having to say goodbye to the wonderful people I had met there. I received a ZARA Gift Voucher (my favourite shop at the moment) as a leaving present and a personal gift from someone who I had become very good friends with. She had bought me a pencil pot in the shape of a giant pencil sharpener to use at my new job, and I think it's one of the most amazing pencil pots I've ever seen! She felt it would be funny as people always used my pencil sharpener!

Anyway, this entry is getting incredibly wordy now! If you are looking to get into Fashion Design and have any questions, just ask, I'll be happy to answer them!
Post a Comment