Saturday, 19 June 2010

95.8 Capital FM - Summertime Ball 2010.

A couple of Sundays ago, I attended the 95.8 Capital FM Summertime Ball at Wembley Stadium with my best friend (I was treating her to an early birthday present!) and it was actually the first time I had been to a music concert!! I had no idea what to expect, how the acts were going to sound live or how loud it was going to be! First up was Usher which I thought did a great performance. The crowd reaction wasn't as strong compared to some of the other acts (which I later noticed) but I think that it may be to do with age - which I will mention later in this entry. Usher sounded great live and I was glad to hear some of his old school tracks. His two new songs, 'OMG' and 'Lil Freak' were fantastic and got me interested in current music again as for the past couple of months I have only been listening to music from the 70s and 80s!!Referring back to my comment about age, well I felt incredibly old (25?) when Justin Bieber came on stage in his red jeans and black leather jacket outfit and the loudest screams shook the stadium. I'm certain I've never heard noise that loud before! I didn't know what the fuss was and didn't really know who he was - like I said, I've been in my 70s/80s bubble! I thought his music was very annoying and from the screams, I would guess that 80% of the crowd were under 15. Sean Kingston then came out to join him whose No.1 song 'Beautiful Girls' also annoyed me... and I thought maybe I would use this opportunity for a toilet break. However, it was so crowded I decided to just wait which I was glad about because a few minutes later, Sean Kingston left the stage and Justin Beiber did a little Michael Jackson melody and dance routine which I actually thought was quite good! I do love it when people incorporate Michael Jackson into their performance!
Other acts included Jason Derulo who sounded terrible live and had a wardrobe malfunction when he couldn't get his jacket off which I thought was quite amusing as the whole stripping act never impresses me. After getting help from one of his dancers, it was finally off, then a couple of minutes later, he tore his t-shirt to bits. Again, I was very unimpressed and felt that it was done to compensate for a terrible performance. Cheryl Cole also sounded terrible live which was disappointing as her songs aren't too bad. She's definitely a better dancer than a singer but she also needs to get a new stylist! Alexandra Burke was excellent and I was thoroughly impressed with her singing while doing an intensive dance routine. Ellie Goulding sounded ethereal but I was disappointed that she only sang one song -'Starry Eyed', especially when I thought her other song 'Under The Sheets' is much better where she usually performs it while banging a drum filled with glitter so that they scatter every time she hits it.
Dizzee Rascal, Tinie Tempah and Chipmunk were real crowd pleasers because of the heavy bass and performances by Scouting for Girls, Ke$ha, Pixie Lott and The Wanted were alright but unfortunately forgettable. JLS also got the crowd excited (almost as much as Justin Bieber) but singing over a recording is so disappointing!!The only highlight of the show so far was Usher, but the show ended with Rihanna who didn't disappoint one bit! She looked and sounded great and I originally didn't really like her 'Rudeboy' song, but I certainly warmed to it when I heard it live.
Overall, it was a brilliant day out and I would definitely go to more music concerts in the future!
Post a Comment