Thursday, 1 July 2010

Film Review: Percy Jackson & The Lightening Thief.

I love Greek mythology so when this film came out in February (based on a set of novels) and there were characters such as Zeus, Poseidon and Hades featured in the trailer, I was right there to see it at the cinema! This film was also being compared to Harry Potter which admittedly made it seem a lot more appealing, and I certainly prefer mythology over wizadry!I was extremely impressed by the film but even more impressed at the amount of fully established actors that were in it! I think the presence of Sean Bean as Zeus, Pierce Brosnan as Chiron (a centaur...yes, a centaur!!), Rosario Dawson as Persephone, Kevin McKidd as Poseidon and Uma Thurman as Medusa definitely made the film very special. Uma Thurman was especially fantastic as Medusa, she was hilarious and the modern touches throughout the film were endearing rather than tacky.
The special effects were also impressive, specifically with the Hydra which I thought looked brilliant and convincing!! I also noticed how great the 'fight' scene was, as I often find with films aimed at a younger audience, fight scenes are too fast and too easy! So I really appreciated how this fight scene was a lot longer than I thought it would go on for and they weren't ridiculously easy to kill!I definitely recommend this film to all fans of Fantasy, you'll be surprised at how much you would like it regardless of your age. I haven't read anything about a sequel, but I do hope so!
Post a Comment