Friday, 10 September 2010

Film Review: The Time Traveler's Wife.

I had read 'The Time Traveler's Wife' by Audrey Niffenegger about 5 years ago and although I ridiculously cried all the way through, I thoroughly enjoyed the unique and emotional story. So, a couple of years ago when I found out that they were making a film from it, I was delighted...and even more so when I later found out that Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams had the lead roles as Henry and Clare...they were perfect and I could easily have put their faces with the characters I had read about.The story is about Henry who has a genetic disorder where he is prone to randomly time travel, whether it's a few weeks back or years into the future. During his travels, he meets the very young Clare, and consistently appears at the same spot (a meadow, where Clare likes to play) for many more years to come. He writes in her diary the dates he will appear so she can prepare food and clothes for him as he always appears naked when he time travels. He does of course have his own timeline, and meets Clare 'for the first time' when he is a young man and she is a young woman...however, she already knows him and they meet for dinner so she can tell him everything. I thought this part of the film was depicted really well and you could really see how happy Clare was as it had been 2 years since the last time she saw him. I also thought it was amusing how she kept saying how young he was, as she had only seen him in his late 30's ever since she was a child.
They start a relationship which is put under a lot of pressure because Henry keeps time travelling! I think this is when I started getting teary-eyed, it was so heartbreaking to watch!There is one scene where it is their wedding night and they're playfully jumping on the bed together, then Henry disappears! The couple go through so many things together such as Clare experiencing multiple miscarriages because the foetus also has the same time travelling capabilities as Henry, another thing to sob about! Henry decides to secretly have a vasectomy so that Clare doesn't have to go through another miscarriage, she is absolutely livid with him but takes advantage when a younger Henry appears...and she becomes pregnant again, to which older Henry is not amused about because of the possible complications. However, I found it hilarious when she says to him '...it's not like I cheated!'.Her pregnancy comes to full term and she gives birth to a daughter who they name Alba...well, Henry suggests the name because he meets his daughter a few years later in the future, and also learns that he dies when she is 5...something he keeps from Clare, who often questions when his death may be as she has never seen him past his early-forties. So much more happens then what I have already talked about but I completely recommend this film, even if you think it isn't to your taste...I think you will be surprised and appreciate how well it has been filmed and Rachel McAdams is just amazing. I also feel that I enjoyed the film more than I would if I had just freshly finished reading the book, as I didn't really have anything to compare it to and I wasn't obsessed with seeing how accurate it was.
Post a Comment