Thursday, 23 September 2010

London MCM Expo.

About a year ago, I came across Cosplay. I'm sure I've always known about the concept as I grew up closely with my brother therefore was into a lot of the things he was into i.e. gaming... and as previously mentioned, I loved playing Chun-Li on Street Fighter, and often wore my hair in double buns like she did - strictly at home though!! ... and I must have known that there were places where people went and dressed up like their favourite characters! However, I never really looked any further into it.Cosplay is ..."short for 'costume play', and is a type of performance art in which participants don costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea." I can't remember how exactly I came across it, but I'm sure that the fact my younger sister is completely obsessed with manga and anime (reads it, watches it, listens to J/K-POP) made me more aware of it as she had shown me people dressed up as her favourite characters which were actually truly impressive and realistic! I couldn't believe how much effort went into the creation of these costumes such as Orochi X as Siegfried Schtauffen from Soul Calibur IV which debuted at Comic Fiesta in 2008 in Malaysia. My jaw dropped the first time I saw it.There are so many amazing costumes I came across so I thought I would just choose one male and one female for my blog entry. The latter is HexReedFly's stunning creation based on the Twin Sisters of Shiva who are summons from Final Fantasy XIII. I haven't played XIII yet as I decided to start again from VII as seen here but I haven't played it since October 2009 so I will be starting all over again some time soon...
Anyway, my boyfriend has completed XIII and showed me how the Twin Sisters of Shiva actually transform into a motorbike for a character called Snow. It looked amazing and whoever thinks of these things is a genius!Anyway, I almost forgot the whole point of this blog entry - MCM Expo - which is Cosplay in London and I can't wait to go! It is basically an event to promote all things Sci-Fi and Fantasy, whether they're video games, films, comics, art etc.
My sister is dressing up as a character but boringly, I am not. As it will be my first time, I just want to see what it is like, UK-style...and unfortunately, based on some photos I have seen, I don't see the costumes looking as amazing as how they do in the Far East...instead, they look a bit cringeworthy - sorry, I have to be honest!! However, I am going with a completely open-mind and I do hope my opinion on this is reversed. For more information and tickets (it is happening this October!), you can visit their site: http://www.londonexpo.com/
Post a Comment