Friday, 19 November 2010

Film Review: Clash of the Titans.

I watched the much anticipated Clash of the Titans when it was released back in April (I know I know, this entry is SO late!) and thoroughly enjoyed it! I could not remember much of the original one as I had only ever watched it as a child so did not really have much to compare with. However, over two decades later, I'm sure there would be a lot of differences, especially with the effects! One of the first things that impressed me about the film, was the cast. Sam Worthington (Avatar), Liam Neeson (one of the most suited actors to play Zeus), Ralph Fiennes, Pete Postlethwaite, Polly Walker (loved her in 'Rome'), Jason Flemyng and more!
I definitely had my eye on the acting skills of one particular actress, Gemma Aterton. I had never really understood the fuss about her being the next big actress from the UK. I had found her quite irritating in 'St Trinian's' and felt the same when she played Strawberry Fields in Quantum of Solace. However, my opinion of her completely flipped after watching her in Clash of the Titans, I thought she was a very convincing actress and that her role as Io was perfect for her.Mads Mikkelsen as Draco was also brilliant, but then again I do always associate him with 'fighter' type roles which he consistently does a great job at.The thing I love most about remakes (although I hate remakes of current films that are perfectly fine as they are, such as 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo'!!) is to see how prominent characters are interpreted, and for Clash of the Titans, it had to be the Stygian Witches! They absolutely terrified me as a child, but I was glad to have felt amusement when I saw them in the new Clash of the Titans, instead of fear! In fact, I was rather humoured with my afterthought of them looking as though they were related to The Ephors from '300'.The main storyline is that Perseus wishes to destroy the Kraken, which is Hades' creation and Hades' had previously caused the death of his adoptive father, Spyros. However, by the end of the film where Perseus has a battle with the Kraken, I was left rather unsatisfied as not only did the Kraken look like a deformed Godzilla, but it was also very short. The most exciting parts of the film is when Perseus meets all these different creatures and monsters, my favourite being Medusa who I have always found interesting. I loved the way she looked in the film and actually later found out that she was portrayed by Natalia Vodianova (one of my favourite models)...I'll need to watch the film again to try and see how obvious this was!Overall, it was a great film with an excellent cast...anyone interested in Greek mythology will love this!
Post a Comment