Tuesday, 11 January 2011

Beauty Review: Ruby Red Organic Lemon Whipped Shea Butter.

Firstly, I have to address the issue of this costing £12.50 (approx $20) for 50ml, this is much too expensive! So if I hadn't found it available for half the price online (via ASOS.COM), I wouldn't be blogging about it now! So with the negative out the way, here is a small positive - the outer packaging is just adorable! I loved the matching coloured corrugated cardboard wrap and if I had a boutique, I would be pleased to be able to stock such a beautifully presented product (but also if there was room for negotiation on the price of course!).
However, the negatives overrun the positives. I am instantly disappointed with the font used for 'Gorgeously' and 'Hand made in London England'. I can't remember what it is called but I very often see it used in handmade beauty products, and this gave it an amateur look. There are actually just too many fonts being used overall. Also 'handmade' is never a split word which is recognised on the outer label, but not on the sticker on the tin! Then there is 'Handmade and wrapped in UK' and 'Hand made in London England' ... it just looks like one person designed the outer packaging, and another designed the tin, without even looking at the outer packaging. I just don't understand how this could have happened...there is no consistency!Anyway, putting all that aside for now, the actual product is wonderful. I love shea butter so I am always interested in trying out as many as I can! The lemon scent is very strong, and very fresh. I have been keeping it on my desk as a hand cream and although it is quite greasy when I first rub it into my palms, my skin quickly absorbs it and my hands feel very moisturised. I am still open to trying Ruby Red products (at a lower price), because I feel they have a lot of potential and I like the 'handmade' aspect of it, but they just need to sort out their overall packaging, and if I'm going to pay the full price for the product, it has to be perfect.
Post a Comment