Thursday, 24 March 2011

Film Review: Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone. (2001).

With the final Harry Potter film due out very soon, my sister and I decided to refresh our memories of the storyline and proceeded to watch them all from the beginning. The gaps between each film were too long for me to keep track with what was happening, and I didn't want to watch the final one just to see a good film, I really wanted to understand it too! So here is the first of my reviews of all the Harry Potter films!
As soon as we saw Daniel Radcliffe in 'Harry Potter & The Philosopher's Stone' on screen, we chuckled in unison at the fact that he is SO young! You completely forget how young they all were and you only seem to remember how they looked the last time you saw them, and nothing before that. It is so sweet seeing the start of their friendships and the start of his life at Hogwarts and his talent as a Seeker in Quidditch.
I also noticed how the film does not faff around with the storyline at all, there is no annoying build up that you often get with films or books that are part of a trilogy or more. The viewer is instantly introduced to key characters, Harry's history about his parents are introduced and of course, Voldemort makes an ironic appearance as the back of Defence against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Quirrell's head! I loved this and totally forgot this had happened...most of the film was new to me even though I had already seen it 10 years ago and I do have quite a good memory!
Another important event that happens is that when Professor Quirrell tries to attack Harry, his hand turns to dust...Harry then proceeds to 'kill' him by touching his face. I thought this was a very clever and 'soft' way of 'killing' an enemy in regards to the younger audience! We later find out that this happened because Harry's mother sacrificed herself to save him which has provided him with some form of protection against the 'Dark'... and as you continue watching the films, you come to learn that this comes into a lot of use! I also particularly loved the chess-match scene! Very dramatic but a fantastic idea!
Post a Comment