Sunday, 5 June 2011

Film Review: The Bridges of Madison County (1995)

This film is pretty much the opposite of any other film I tend to go for, but I had added it to my LOVEFiLM list ages ago when I noticed that it had a really high rating and I am really keen on discovering older films that I would have missed due to my age (I was 10 when this came out) and actually, it was surprisingly OK!
However, when it arrived and I looked at the cover, I pondered if I could really watch a romance film with Clint Eastwood and Meryl Streep - both actors I'm not too bothered about. Although having said that, Clint Eastwood was fantastic in 'Gran Torino' and Meryl Streep in 'Death Becomes Her'/'Devil Wears Prada'/'Mamma Mia'!
The film is actually quite slow and is simply about a housewife who meets and falls in love with a photographer while her husband and children are away. I think this film could have been incredibly boring with the wrong actors but both Meryl and Clint were excellent! I really believed it all!!
I would describe this film as 'The Notebook' for an older generation, even though it has no similarities whatsoever, it still runs on the same thread.
Post a Comment