Friday, 9 September 2011

Film Review: Columbiana (2011)

My sister and I had planned to watch 'Jane Eyre' at the cinema but we were both so tired from school and work, that we weren't sure if a 'slow' paced film was what we needed, so we decided to watch 'Columbiana' instead. Zoe Saldana plays Cataleya, who is set on seeking revenge on the people who murdered her parents when she was a child. The film starts with exactly this, and the young Cataleya is extraordinarily played by Amandla Stenberg. Even though she is only in the film for about 20 minutes, she was fantastic and her storyline was completely unpredictable...she is one tough cookie and I loved it! The action started right from the beginning and the pace stayed at a similar level all the way through, something I really needed otherwise I would have fallen asleep!
The film then fast forwards 15 years later and we learn that the people who killed her parents have relocated and under 'corrupt' government protection..therefore she is unable to find them. She then skillfully murders all people associated with them to draw them out...which eventually happens.
My favourite part of the film is the last fight scene where Cataleya is in proper fight mode, no guns...because using a gun is just too easy compared to traditional hand-to-hand combat! It was brilliantly choreographed. When the film ended, it made me aware that I actually haven't watched a good 'realistic' action film since 'Bad Boys', 'Lethal Weapon', 'Die Hard'...etc.. 'Columbiana' definitely fell into this category for me and Zoe Saldana really shone as an actress...she was excellent!
Even though I would have loved a bit more story around the Cataleya character such as her training to become a killer, as she literally went from Powerpuff Girl to a trained assassin in the blink of an eye ...I would still recommend all action-fans to check this film out!!!

Post a Comment