Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Restaurant Review: SUDA.

It was my mother's birthday and I had intended on taking her to eat at my favourite Italian in London - Kitchen Italia - but she had a last minute recommendation from a friend to check out a new Thai restaurant (and I am always up for trying new places!) so we went there instead!
SUDA is located in St Martins Courtyard in Covent Garden which was a lovely little place that I'd never been to before. I instantly loved the design of the restaurant/bar from the outside, you could see that it was definitely a more modern version of a typical Thai restaurant and inside was even better! The heavy black made it look super slick but offset against the light coloured wood and little pots of greenery made it look really quirky, which I loved!
It was really empty when we arrived as it was more like a late lunch rather than a dinner affair, but I can imagine it getting really busy especially with having two bars!
The drinks menu was really impressive, I'm not fond of alcoholic drinks at all so I always like to see what is available apart from the former and soft drinks. The Juices menu was probably the best I've seen - there were a variety of interesting ingredients in each one and it definitely perked my interest. If I had the stomach for it, I would have ordered them all!
I went for a 'SUDA Smoothie' as I always love 'house' drinks, and this was yummy! It was 'strawberries blended with banana, grenadine and fresh lime juice'.
For a starter, I ordered one of my favourites - Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce! It is so simple yet I seldom get it how I want! I was totally disappointed with Busaba's version of Chicken Satay before I even tasted it (they weren't even on skewers!) but I will leave that for its own review. However, SUDA's chicken satay was so perfect!! The peanut sauce WAS peanut sauce (I am often unconvinced!)! It was crunchy and the perfect taste, my mouth is watering just thinking about it!! I finished them all off and yearned for more!
My mother ordered the below which is 'Som Tum' - a 'classic, spicy salad' and although it's not high on my list of favourite dishes,...she totally approved, and she's a hard one to impress!
 
I had finished my smoothie pretty quickly which is weird as I can usually make one drink last a whole evening if I am having a meal! So, my next option was 'Thai Iced Tea'. It didn't taste like a normal 'iced tea' at all, but it was delicious! It took a little getting used to but it was really lovely!!
I was really indecisive when it came to ordering my main meal, everything sounded so nice! However, as I don't really cook much seafood for myself (even though I love it!), I decided to go for a seafood dish! 'Talay Phad Chaa' is 'mixed seafood sautéed with chilli and wild ginger' which I had with Jasmine Rice. At first I thought the portion was quite small but my eyes were clearly too big for my belly at the time as I struggled to finish it! The dish was very, very nice indeed!!! 
For dessert, I had 'Bua Loy Puek' which are 'taro balls in coconut cream'...again, this dish was incredible! By the time I was having this, I couldn't believe how nice everything was as there is ALWAYS one disappointment when I eat out...but not here!
My sister had 'Gluay Hom Tod' which were simply banana fritters with ice cream but I had forgotten to taste it as I was devouring my own dessert! However, it looked so yummy, it is definitely on my 'to taste' list when I go there again!
I could go on and on about how brilliant the food was here, and although I love meat, the vegetarian options seemed pretty good too! I highly recommend SUDA and I have actually already planned in my next visit!
Post a Comment