Monday, 30 April 2012

Film Review: Avengers Assemble (2012)

I didn't get to watch this on the release date (which is what I tend to do with films I have no doubt will disappoint) but because of this, I witnessed the huge hype around how amazing it was which was so much more than I expected! 
There is always some kind of 'superhero' film around but this one is definitely the beast of them all in terms of both character and actors! Robert Downey Jnr as Iron Man, Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Chris Hemsworth as Thor and Mark Ruffalo as Hulk. I hate character changes, especially when it comes to the Hulk, I mean, how many times do they need to change the character, first it was Eric Bana, then Edward Norton, now Mark Ruffalo. However, having said that and only seeing Mark Ruffalo on screen for a very small amount of time (Eric Bana and Edward Norton both had the pleasure of an entire film to themselves!)...I was pretty impressed! Mark Ruffalo was definitely the best Bruce Banner out of the bunch...he was very different but very memorable...a film for him please, third time lucky?
I was also so happy that although at first his character did not seem as significant as the others as he originally was only needed for his brain, so when he did finally turn into the Hulk, it was incredible!! There was so much humour involved with this character (without mocking), something I don't recall in the other stand-alone films.
The film was very well written and extremely complimentary towards the individual character films - it made you want to go back and watch the Iron Man films, and Thor, and Captain America! The 'baddie' in this film also came straight from 'Thor', his brother Loki. I liked how the storylines are entwined and how could I have forgotten that the 'Tesseract' was from 'Thor'!!! I also definitely feel that Scarlett Johansson could do with a film of her own! Some female superhero love please! There was an excellent fight scene with her where she is thrown onto her spine and then immediately springs back up (you just have to see it!!) which prompted both my sister and I to look at each other and mouthed 'wow'! The sequel has got to have more superheroines, I know they can be difficult but it can be done...maybe introducing a lesser-known actress as a lesser-known superheroine where there is not a strong notion around would be much more exciting rather than bringing in someone like Wonder Woman!
The post-credits scene introduces a new character which has a few good superheroines attached to it, so I have high hopes that the sequel will be just as good if not better. 
Overall, I think it's clear that this is a glowing review of the film, I could easily watch it again!!!
Post a Comment