Friday, 3 August 2012

Film Review: The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

A much anticipated film...The Dark Knight Rises!! My first feeling about this was that I loved it, but after thinking about it a bit more, I wasn't very sure. I then felt that I needed to have subtitles throughout the whole thing as I could barely understand what Bane (Tom Hardy's character) was saying most of the time, but I still thought his character was great. I really liked the storyline, in particular the revelation of Miranda Tate's real identity...I didn't suspect at all...however, once it had been revealed, the signs were definitely there. Because of who she really was, I did then expect her to have a bit of a fight scene (with Catwoman!) seeing as she did escape somewhere inescapable! ... I think this daydream fight scene could have been really good, so that was unfortunate.
Anne Hathaway as Catwoman was awful. At the time, I was so wrapped in the whole film, the plot, the other characters and the action...but as an afterthought, I really didn't like her. She was too prim and (very) annoying and made me yearn for Michelle Pfeiffer's edgy Catwoman instead. I also felt that a more petite actress could have been a much better Catwoman (like Pfeiffer) as I actually didn't find Anne Hathaway cat-like or sexy at all. I actually can't believe how wrong she was for the role which played a big part in my overall feeling for the film.
Joseph Gordon-Levitt as John Blake (and later to be revealed as a key character in the Batman franchise) was a surprise to me...I was surprised at how good he was! At first, I thought he would just be one of those average characters, that does something heroic and that's that...but his character was really strong, likeable and I loved who he 'became' at the end. 
Overall, a little disappointing but only in regards to not being able to understand Bane and not liking Anne Hathaway as Catwoman...everything else was great!!
Post a Comment