Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Muay Thai Part II.

Continuing on from my previous post about starting Muay Thai, my sister and I attended our first session early in July, and despite that very first session leaving me with a limp for over a week, due to the fact that I hadn't done any type of exercise to that calibre in possibly 10 years (when I was in High School, and exercise was part of the curriculum!)...we have still been going, and I still get the occasional limp!
When I think back about it now, I am surprised that I didn't pass out as I was not dressed correctly either- I wore leggings, a vest AND a t-shirt! I don't sweat easily hence the layers, but boy did I regret it! My sister and I are enjoying it so much we now have our own boxing gloves, shin-guards and hand-wraps so we don't have to use the communal ones anymore!! ...and because of experiencing the latter, we are obsessed with keeping our gear super-duper clean..so no matter how tired we are, we will always spend 5 minutes after each session (in the gym) cleaning them. After researching and trialling, I have found that the best way is to wipe them (inside & outside) with antibacterial wipes, dry them with the hairdryer (on cold setting!!) and putting some socks-filled-with-cedar-chips into them (to absorb any other additional moisture which leads to the growth of bacteria) until the next time you use them. Leaving them on the window sill will also help, but as it has been quite hot in London, I haven't wanted to do this and leaving them in the shadow of my bag has been fine. We've been doing this about 4-5 times now and our gloves still look and smell like how they did when they were fresh out the box!
Here are a few (of many) reasons why I would recommend Muay Thai:
  • If you are easily bored - you do such a variety of things, there is no time to get bored!
  • If you want to challenge yourself.
  • If you need to be pushed every once in a while - our coach is very encouraging and pushes us, but without it feeling like boot-camp!
  • If you enjoy watching Martial Arts films -  we now appreciate the skill and technique of Martial Arts as a whole SO much more since we started doing Muay Thai!
  • If you want to tone up - I think I started to see a difference after 3 sessions but of course this will vary depending on your body type/metabolism.
  • If you want to feel like you could protect yourself if/when needed.
  • You will become more educated and in-tune with your body.
I hope this blog post has been helpful, but I am still very much a beginner and there is still so much for me to learn...hence why I haven't gone too in depth with what exactly I have been doing - I'm leaving that for a Part III! Also, when I first started researching on where to do Muay Thai, I came across a lot of places, much more than I thought. So, if you want to do it, I'm pretty sure you will be able to find somewhere local (particularly in London).
Post a Comment