Saturday, 19 January 2013

Film Review: The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey (2012)

 My boyfriend and I watched the highly anticipated 'The Hobbit' when it was released at the end of last year and although definitely not as exciting as The Lord of the Rings, it was still a lovely film to watch and I still wanted to type up a quick review of it. (Unfortunately too far down the line for me to remember everything I wanted to mention, but I'll try my best!)
So, 'The Hobbit' is of course the prequel to 'The Lord of the Rings' film trilogy and although (and admittedly) I don't really find hobbits very interesting - they are slightly annoying, they don't wear cool armour or any of the sort and they generally do not look appealing... I knew there would still be large aspects of the film I would love.
Apart from it being centered around the hobbit, Bilbo Baggins...I primarily had to get over the fact that the main actor was Martin Freeman. I have nothing against him but as I live in the UK, I only remember him being in cheesy British dramas...I really struggled believing, or liking him as a hobbit... where, for example, Cate Blanchett as Galadriel or Ian McKellen as Gandalf is a completely different league. I am still unsure about the Bilbo Baggins character, but luckily there are enough Elves, Dwarves and Orcs to keep me occupied.
I loved the story around the Dwarven kingdom, and Richard Armitage as Thorin Oakenshield was fantastic! He really shines in 'The Hobbit'...something I did not really notice (apart from, being a pretty good bad guy) when I used to watch him every now and again in 'Robin Hood'.
One thing I really do remember though is when the Dwarves assemble at Bilbo Baggins house, and make a bit of a mess, and then they discuss their mission. This whole scene was SO long, TOO long...to the point of making me feel a little bored, and I NEVER felt bored watching 'Lord of the Rings'. 
On a positive note, I loved the scene with the Stone Giants! I loved that they were fighting each other rather than attacking the group - as that would've been boring and unfair! A last character mention, Gollum. I don't think I could ever tire of this character and with a higher graphic quality, Gollum was amazing!!
Overall, a good film. If I was younger and hadn't watched 'Lord of the Rings', I could go as far as saying I loved it, but in comparison, 'Lord of the Rings' is much more epic. 
On a funny note though (well, I found this hilarious) ...my brother had also watched 'The Hobbit', and sent me a text afterwards, where he was cursing and asked me what had happened to the ending... there was no ending of course because this is part of a trilogy, so it was a cliff-hanger! He had no idea there were two more films due!!
Post a Comment